Total time: 10 minutes
Yield: 1.5 cups
- 1 tablespoon neutral vegetable oil
- 3 large scallions, white and pale-green parts thinly sliced, dark-green parts trimmed, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- 1 avocado, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Tortilla chips or pita chips (for serving; optional)
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium. Add sliced scallions and a pinch of salt; cook, stirring frequently, until scallions just start to brown around the edges, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer scallions and oil to a medium bowl. Add avocado, yogurt, and remaining 3/4 tsp. salt; stir to combine, lightly mashing avocado so mixture is slightly chunky. Taste and adjust seasonings. Top with finely chopped scallions. Serve with tortilla chips or pita chips alongside, if using.
PHOTO BY CHELSEA KYLE, FOOD STYLING BY KATHERINE SACKS
With a mix of caramelized and fresh scallions, plus avocado and yogurt, this dip has a taste and texture somewhere between onion dip and guacamole.