Breakfast is often the first thing to get skipped when time gets tight in the morning scramble. But a good meal to start the day doesn’t have to be a time-consuming affair. Spend 30 minutes on Sunday preparing these delicious egg squares and eat a stress-free breakfast of champions for the rest of the week.
(Photo: Wikipedia- Timothy Titus)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Crack 12 eggs in a bowl and whisk. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Dress up the eggs with your favorite fixins. Go crazy with variations – the possibilities are endless. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Bacon, cheddar, and scallion
- Sriracha, spinach, and onions
- Diced ham, peppers, and onions
- Salami, mushrooms, and Swiss
If you’re feeling ambitious, try more than one of these combos at a time so that you can switch things up during the week. (Don’t worry, your squares will hold up in the freezer for longer than a week.)
4. Pour into a greased glass baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are set.
5. Remove from the oven and let the eggs cool before portioning your breakfast into 6 or more squares for the week. Individually wrap each square in a ziplock bag and freeze.
On your way out the door during the week, pop a square into the microwave for 45-60 seconds and slap it onto your favorite bread for the quickest, most delicious breakfast you’ll ever make.